Thursday, February 17, 2005

Purpose Driven Life

Once a week, I have a Bible verse e-mailed to me, and this Monday's one was the following:

And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19 (NKJV)


This made me smile, because I really believe that God knows what we need to hear and when we need to hear it! Yesterday, I went to church at lunchtime again, and the word was from Habakkuk 2:2-4. We were given this challenge: 'be bold to actually ask God for the things on your heart'. So last night, I started to do just that. It's sometimes easy to talk about things on our heart, to share them with other people.....but actually asking God? Believing that He may've put that dream or vision in our hearts in the first place - believing that He's gone before, and is going to be with us all the way - now sometimes, that's a different thing altogether.......

Yesterday was a little frustrating for me, in the sense that yet again, I seem to have a cold (although it doesn't feel like a cold). I couldn't stop coughing, and by the end of the day, my voice had dropped several tones!! So, at lunchtime, whilst trying to sing - I realised that there wasn't much voice there! I realised that actually as much as I love to worship, and sing - what's far more important is what's coming from the heart. So, frustrating as it was for me, for the last couple of songs, I just stood there, not making a sound, with my hands lifted, and gave God my heart and not my voice (which is what He wanted anyway!). Needless to say, they were the two most powerful songs of the service (for me anyhow) :-)

Two more thoughts from yesterday's service:

Habakkuk 2:4 'The righteous will live by faith'.

Flourish - don't just survive! Be renewed by God - and be filled with energy - the energy of the Spirit!

Purpose Driven Life
....Oh yes, I am trying to keep up with the daily readings of the book (our whole church are reading it at the moment). I opened my book the other night, and realised that I was already up to Chapter 12. I must confess, I started reading it around Christmas time, as I know what I'm like with keeping up with things (thought I'd make a head start)! Anyway - this time I'm gonna try! I think I did 12 days before and then stopped, because it was causing me to re-focus some of my life - and think about it being more 'purpose driven'. It got a bit challenging - which is a good thing, but something which will invariably mean change.......watch this space!

Last night, I did some 'purpose driven ironing' - exciting I know - but one of those things that had to be done. This weekend I hope to tackle the rest of the ironing pile, and continue reading the book! I'll probably share a few thoughts from it, as and when there's time. That's another area I have to work on - my time. I realise that I've got very busy lately, so this week I've started to cancel a few things (a first for me), and again, re-focus priorities! I'm not quite there yet, and the diary's still quite full - but I'm working on it! I often smile when I remember something that Rod Anderson told me once 'God is not going to fall off His throne if you miss a meeting Penny' (something that my Mum reminds me of sometimes).

Anyway, a long blog post! Sorry, but I've gotta go - there's a meeting to go to tonight!! Adios, hasta manana!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spent so long reading this that I missed the AGM!! No-it's not true, though I DID miss tonight's AGM and that is entirely down to me and a memory lapse.

PatK said...

Just got back from the night shift, Pen - I knew I couldn't make the AGM anyway!

In our 40 Days small group on Tuesday, loads of things struck me (I need some processing time on most of them), but one sticks out. It was the thought that re-focussing our priorities as a result of 40 days may well mean us dropping some stuff we've been busy with - but that this will allow others room to grow, some wil have room to rest, and there will be a Spirit-led re-distribution which might yet surprise us all!

Going around the room talking about our individual strengths and ministries opened up some great new possibilities! Watch this space!

Much love

Pat