Sunday, February 20, 2005

The importance of training....

In a couple of weeks' time, I'm going skiing (work trip) - and I know that between now and then, I will have to put in a lot of training (as I am very unfit at the moment)!! I know that if I don't put in the preparation beforehand, I'll pay for it when I'm there, and I won't do the best that I can do (which incidently, isn't that great!).

I was thinking about this, and also thinking about Meg (our dog). When we got Meg, she was only a few weeks old, and in need of some training (as all puppies are!). So, at the moment, she goes to 'dog training classes' once a week, where she is being trained!

I look back at some areas of my life, and realise the importance of the training (even though it's not always enjoyable! - and I'm being honest!). Even when perhaps, I wasn't aware that it was going on....situations I've had to deal with, challenges that have come across my path, just 'life' really.....it's all 'preparation' for our future days.

It's quite surreal sometimes - leading worship at Elim. You see, the preparation took time (and don't get me wrong - it's an on-going process, and certainly hasn't finished yet!).... When I was a young teenager, the whole of my youth group used to visit Elim at Easter, and for special events etc. I remember even now, where we all used to sit, who I was with etc.... Did I ever think as a visiting 14 year old, that one day I'd end up in that church - and lead worship too? No, of course not!
Did God think so? Of course.....

Has He got plans for your life that are going to surprise you? Of course.....


What I do remember though (as a teenager), are the times in my previous church, when the worship leader, or keyboard player would be away, and I'd have to do a 'few more songs than usual' - and I remember thinking, what happens if I put a couple of songs together...put this one, with that one, and then let them flow etc....
A teenager experimenting, or God starting the training?

We're all in the training process - and I believe (as I heard preached yesterday) - that while we've still got breath in us - God has a purpose for our lives!! However young or old we may be! Today's training, is preparation for tomorrow....

1 comment:

SarahB said...

Hi Penny,

I really enjoy your blogs as they always have something to tell me and sometimes challenge me!! Thinking about God's training has reminded me of the areas in my life when things weren't obvious to me but later God has revealed how he wants to change me. Sometimes I wish I could go on the fast track training course...

Thanks for your encouragement.

:-)

Sarah