Monday, December 19, 2005

Go faster stripes....


I'm currently sporting THREE 'go faster stripes' - which sounds great, although they are red and purple (and on my right knee)....I'll explain.....

I went Christmas shopping this afternoon - but spent most of the afternoon in Starbucks (and got a free sandwich) - also checked out their gingerbread latte! So, I was shopping towards the end of the day - and decided to enter Debenhams (at the back, by the escalators).

The UP one wasn't working, so rather than walk up the stationary one, I decided to run (yes, RUN!) UP the DOWN escalator!! I'm still not sure what made me do this - whether I was:
1. Just trying to see how fit I was.
2. Seeing if I could still do it!
3. Trying to prove something to myself (especially as a friend [you know who you are!] sent me an e-mail containing the word 'wrinkles' this morning!
4. Deciding to act like a kid, because I've just turned 30?!

Anyway.....thankfully there weren't any people in sight....because as I reached the top - it my legs got heavier, the steps got harder, and I had these embarrassing images of me not succeeding....so I took one giant leap (to get off the thing) - and didn't quite make it!!!

Let's just say, I ended up at the bottom of the DOWN escalator (with a bruised knee - and pride, together with a new estimation of my 'fitness'). I then WALKED UP the UP escalator into the shop (which I could've done in the first place) - pretending that NOTHING had happened, my knee didn't REALLY hurt - whilst as the same time, praying that this whole episode hadn't been caught on CCTV, and would be shown at some future point on 'You've Been Framed'.

So, to sum up this little 'adventure' - it's not big, it's not funny, and it's definitely NOT clever!!

7 comments:

SarahB said...

Oh Penster, you did make me laugh! I just had images of you in your PP outfit! Glad you didn't have any serious injury other than Latte withdrawal symptoms...

Glad to hear how much was raised for the orphanage. What a witness you are.

Have a fab Christmas.

With love,

Sarah & Kevin

Anonymous said...

Well I guess that goes to prove that you aren't as fit as you thought that you were!!

Surely with a strict training programme you should be able to run up the escalator by the summer!

Guess your age must be catching up with you!!

Helen said...

Oh Penny Oh Penny, I'm sorry but I am sitting here in hysterics at the thought of you trying to run up a down escalater, I do hope you haven't hurt your self too much though!
Have you seen Bridget Jones?
That just makes me think of her!!!
get the lift next time!
Oh Penny!!!

David (not Dave) said...

I've obtained a copy of the video and they should be available just after Christmas in the Church Book Room!
Excellent thing to do, I've always wanted to try but never had the bottle!

rhi said...

Penster
You are mad !!!!!
Happy Christmas anyway from all at ours. Take care and if you see any more escalators . . . . take the stairs!
LOL
Rhi

Anonymous said...

Hi Pen

That little episode really made my morning here!

Merry Christmas!

love,

Derek.

Nicole's Psalm said...

praying for you penny. Enjoy this holiday time. Hope you are able to walk and have not caused too much damage to yourself